Wednesday 21 October 2015

BIG DECISIONS



The day I booked up my first solo travel experience a plane crashed. As I drove (passenger side) to meet with a travel agent, it was announced on the radio. A little discouraging, but after putting my irrational and retrospectively minor fear of flying aside I went ahead and booked up for 5 weeks in SE Asia. I've lived in England all my life and although it will always be home I know I belong somewhere else. Booking a backpacking trip was the first step towards experiencing the world and its a decision I have never once regretted. 

After some hefty research, I decided to go through STA Travel who work alongside G Adventures. They sorted out my holiday insurance, flights, tours, airport transfers and currency. Most importantly they made the whole experience seem very safe, which was very reassuring as a solo traveller.

My parents thought I was too young to take on a continent alone (/with strangers), but I felt like I'd waited my entire life. I visited Asia when I was much younger including Hong Kong, Singapore and Ko Samui and pretty much from that point on became obsessed with going back. For me Asia offers a completely different culture which I continue to be in awe of. I booked the Indochina Discovery tour which includes Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. 4 countries in 4 weeks and then a week in Bangkok, which I organised separately.  


Tips: 
  • STA offer recommendations for how much spending money to take. Add at least 1/3 of the price. Despite booking a tour, a lot of the activities are considered optional and therefore not included in the price. Activities can range from $8 to $40 and will be the biggest expense on your trip. 
  • If theres a chance you might want to stay abroad longer than your tour, purchase a Multiflex Flight Pass which allows you to change your flights without the extortionate charges. 
  • Check what visas you need before you set off on your adventure. If you forget you'll have to pay substantial fees at the border. 
  • Get yourself a cashcard. Parts of the world you may be travelling in are not safe, avoid carrying around a lot of cash. 
  • Do not overpack. Remember you have to carry all of your belongings. Plus I recommend buying most of your clothes out there. Bangkok is a haven for cheap backpacker clothing. 
  • If you book up through STA Travel, sign up to the Watering Hole. A forum which allows you to meet the people you'll be going on tour with. I met two girls online before the tour date which definitely helped my nerves. 


Cost Breakdown: 
  • Return Flights: £420 
  • Gold Travel Insurance: £159
  • Tour: £1650
  • Spending Money: £800
  • Vietnamese Visa: £59
  • Vaccinations/Medication: £320 


Packing List: 
  • Bug Spray- Needs to be 50% Deet especially for malarious zones. 
  • Portable Charger- You'll find yourself without a plug socket often, theres definitely nowhere to recharge in a Laos hill tribe village.
  • Waterproof pouch- A total lifesaver for water activities. 
  • Long Trousers/T-Shirt- Temples restrict tourists from entering if they have their shoulders or knees exposed, especially women. 
  • Sports Bikini- Prevent unwanted nip slips in conservative countries. 
  • First Aid Kit- I practically had to take a second backpack to fit all my meds in. Think of every possible scenario and take all the precautions: Rehydration sachets, Malaria tablets, Painkillers, Plasters, Imodium,Vitamin C Tablets, Antiseptic Wipes, Vaseline, Suncream, Aftersun.
  • Itinerary
  • Trainers- For more adventurous activities
  • Plastic Bags- I kept my underwear in a see-through bag so every morning I could pull out the whole lot and save a lot of searching. 
  • Torch
  • Bumbag- A lifesaver (I recommend highly)
  • Toiletries
  • Tampons- It appears in many countries around the world, this sanitary product is a myth.
  • Notebook
  • Birkenstocks- I cannot stress enough how much these sandals are the holy grail of comfortable footwear. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you went traveling alone! I've thought about it but I have never actually taken the step. I'll definitely be saving this page for when I do though! It's awesome to see you loving your life. Hope you're well!

    Lyndsey | articletwentythree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amaaaaaazing experience! I met people there so I genuinely never felt alone, all worked out so well. Aw thank you so much! If you ever need any tips/advice or anything just let me know! Happy to help :)

      Delete